Thursday, December 28, 2006

Time to Start Thinking Costume

I have eaten too much I think, to the point where I feel very bloated and full even though I've barely eaten this morning. After a few days of very little activity and much food, I'm beginning to go stir crazy so this afternoon with my mobility returning I'm off to hit the sales. Eeep!

I believe it is time for retail therapy.

And what is on my shopping list... Buttons!

And trim, something sparkly.

And yarn.

And should a miracle strike so that I find something suitable, fabric would also be nice. :)

Yesterday afternoon I got out the original pattern for a jacket drafted for me a few years ago by Esther and began modifying it again. I like this modifying lark, you take a pattern you know is about right fit wise then tweak it so it's something completely different. I've added in a little ease, sloped the centre front and back to a point and opened up the collar a little.

At that point I had to give up as my knee was threatening dire consequences if I didn't get off the floor, but that leaves me with the skirt (for this jacket) to draft and then the sleeves. The skirt is going to be full, in a masculine style reminiscent of early 18c frock coats. It will have deep pleats at the side and buttons to attach the front to the back. I'm even considering pockets which will be a first for me.

The sleeves I'm stuck on; they should have full, deep cuffs but if I do then I'll never get the coat I want to wear over the top on. This is me being practical as always and taking into account the fact that the costume will be worn outdoors so at some point the weather will demand I wear a coat. At the moment I'm stuck for ideas on alternatives to deep cuffs which will go with a riding jacket in the style of a men's frock coat. I could just skip the cuffs and sew decorative banding around the wrist opening I guess... I still need to think about this.

I washed the hideous pink silk yesterday and it still looks as horrible as ever. Perfect really. Dave says its eye watering, but I think that applied as a lining to the skirt and front panels of the jacket it will be perfect. I need to find a similar weight cotton/linen for the back and sleeves though. After all what could be more stylish than chocolate brown moleskin with pink diamond check silk?

2 comments:

RichT said...

With big cuffs, could the coat have a slit in the sleeve so you can button them together over the big cuffs. Although its surprising no matter how full the sleeves the fabric may crush down and let you get the coat over.

What I suggest however is do the sleeves on the jacket and worry about the coat later.

Julie Spriddle said...

The coat already exists and I'm not intending to take it apart to alter it, so it's sleeves will remain exactly as they are! *sigh* Ah the woes of trying to use costume that I already own rather than making the entire outfit up from scratch.

I agree, the sleeves will crush down but if there is an excess of fabric you can find they either bunch up at the elbow and armpit or the coat sleeve is so full, you can't actually move let alone draw a sword or pistol. Admitedly, I intend to leave such violent pursuits to those of you more suited to such, but should you let me down I might have to *try* to defend myself. :D