Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Knitting Meme

I don't normally indulge in meme's but since I've been tagged by Jane and I have a minute to spare...

1. What is your favourite cast-on?

Um... I normally do one which uses my thumb and sort of twists the yarn in a figure of eight to form the stitches, but I've no idea what it's called.

2. What is your favourite stitch?

I have recently decided that double moss stitch is very pretty.

3. What are your favourite needles?

My inexperience in the realm of knitting is not to be underestimated, but having tried metal, plastic and bamboo needles, I've got to say the bamboo ones are my favourite so far. They are so much lighter than the metal ones, but nowhere near so bendy as the plastic so I get the best of both worlds.

4. What is your favourite project?

Scarves.

5. What is your least favourite project?

Scarves.

I really do need to learn to make something else methinks...

6. What is your favourite cast-off?

Erm... I only know one. I've heard rumours of others but haven't learnt them as of yet.

7. What are your favourite yarns?

I'm not really a yarn knowledgeable person I'm afraid, being fairly new to this knitting lark. I do like natural fibres - and prefer them when sewing - but don't really have any strong preferences as of yet when it comes to knitting.

8. What are your least favourite yarns?

Anything with eyelashes in the 'novelty' yarn style. Horrible experiences trying to crochet the stuff has scarred me for life.

9. What are your favourite colours?

Colour? Did someone say colour? Yes please!

I like strong colours, but particularly favour nature tones, so earthy browns, reds, plum, greens, blues, yellows, orange and anything in between.

My theory is that there is nothing wrong with any colour itself, it's what you do with it and how you combine the colours that will determine whether it works or not. So learn to think in shades, warmth, tone and contrast rather than just colour.

10. What are your least favourite colours?

I'm not really much of a pastel person.

Some pastels work (pink for example) but others just look too washed out. However, set a pale pastel against a strong, bold colour and you can bring it to life, so I'm not really dead set against them either.

No comments: