Monday, July 30, 2007

With only two free weekends to go...

This weekend we headed off to Ripley to visit friends on Saturday which was fun. The drive home was not so fun, with heavy rain, lots of surface water and an accident just after Junction 27 of the M1 all conspiring to make it a long and stressful journey. I was relieved when I finally pulled up outside our door and promptly fell into bed.

On Sunday, I concentrated on preparing to make Dave another costume for Shards, going by his vague brief that he wanted robes and a tabbard which should be very full, flared, be vaguely clerical and look good with armour. Richard's suggestions that we add hand sewn embroidered livery are going to be ignored for now, unless of course Dave decides to do it himself!

Cue me translating Dave's request into a floor length tunic, split at the front and flaring from under the arm. If I'm so inclined, I may also add gores (or godets) to the sides so that he has lots of potential swish. A mid calf length cyclas with a side fastening colar will do the job as a tabbard methinks and by the time it's all belted it should do the job.

A quick dive into my stash and I located 5 meters of a brushed cotton which will do nicely for his tunic, which I promptly dropped into the washing machine. Nothing to hand that would do for the cyclas so I discovered the joys (or not) of internet shopping for fabric and after spending a good couple of hours combing the interweb I finally ordered some cotton twill from Chawla's, who seem to sell discount fabric. I've never heard of them before so this is a bit of a test order but since its just a few meters of cotton I thought it worth trying them.

Finally, on a totally unrelated subject, some links to scarves I found in Magknits...

What looks like a manly scarf...
Because it looked intriguing...
And because I'm looking for some simple lacey scarves...

3 comments:

RichT said...

It didn’t look that bad when you & Dave left, but night driving in the rain is never fun.

I was joking about the embroided livery, I think quartered, with the staff and snake cut of material would do just as well :D

Julie Spriddle said...

I think that we were sat in near stationary traffic for over half an hour didn't help. Fortunately, we were only about half a mile from the accident so were being waved past by the police whilst they cleared the road. The further south we went the worse the weather got, so what seemed like a little light rain in Ripley was a torrential downpour by the time we reached Nottingham which just got heavier the further we went.

As for the livery, I'm not going to comment other than to say that you are free to volunteer your needlecraft services to Dave if you wish! ;)

Frizbe said...

Sorry you had a rubbish time driving home....can't believe you've made Dave another bit of costume!! Hope he appreciates your hardwork :-)